A trusted classic for over 50 years, Krause and Mahan's Food & the Nutrition Care Process, 15th Edition presents the most up-to-date dietetics content available in this ever-changing field to ensure you provide optimal nutritional care. It offers cutting-edge, comprehensive coverage of a full range of dietetics topics, all in one book. You'll benefit from in-depth information from clinical specialists that provides practical and evidence-based recommendations related to nutrition assessment and intervention, nutritional needs of individuals in different stages of the life cycle, nutrition for health and fitness, and medical nutrition therapy.
- UNIQUE! Pathophysiology algorithms present the cause, pathophysiology, and medical nutrition management for a variety of disorders and conditions to help you provide optimal nutritional care.
- UPDATED! Inflammation and the Pathophysiology of Chronic Disease chapter offers vital information to help you understand how diet and nutrition affect the body and contribute to disease processes.
- UPDATED! Part III: Nutrition in the Life Cycle section of chapters explains the newest nutrition guidelines from pregnancy through adult years to increase your understanding of the nutritional needs of patients at every age.
- Clinical case studies help you translate academic knowledge into practical patient care using the nutrition care process.
- Nutrition Diagnosis boxes present a problem, its etiology, and its signs and symptoms before concluding with a sample nutrition diagnosis, providing you with real-life scenarios you may encounter in practice.
- Clinical Insight boxes expand on clinical information, highlight new areas of focus, and contain clinical resources for your studies.
New to this Edition
- NEW! Food-Nutrient Delivery: Planning the Diet with Cultural Competency chapter provides international nutrition guidelines and resources to assist you with multicultural meal planning.
- NEW! Clinical: Nutritional Genomics chapter features an author from the NIH's Human Genome Project and introduces you to the latest research about CRISPR and epigenetics.
- NEW! MNT for Neurologic Disorders chapter features two new authors, including a speech therapist, and displays IDDSI guidelines and an appendix for dysphagia diets to help you carefully and consistently address the nutritional needs of these patients.
- NEW! Clinical: Water, Electrolytes, and Acid-Base Balance and Clinical: Biochemical, Physical, and Functional Assessment chapters are updated with the most relevant and evidence-based complementary and integrative approaches to expand your expertise in these clinical nutritional areas.
- NEW! MNT for Adverse Reactions to Food: Food Allergies and Intolerance chapter features completely revised guidelines and a new pathophysiology algorithm to ensure you are confident in your knowledge of how to prevent emergencies and what to do when emergencies do happen.
- NEW! Coverage of intermittent fasting, health at every size, and health disparities focuses on the latest nutrition trends to ensure you are well-versed in these topics.
- NEW! The Mediterranean Diet, Choline, and Biotin appendices display at-a-glance information to help you find quickly supplemental information.
- NEW! Directions boxes and Focus On boxes, as well as useful websites, resources, and key terms at the end of each chapter, help you find information quickly and easily.